Harpswell/Ararat Youth League Softball
Registration Deadline is midnight on 2/28/20. If you missed this deadline please call Harpswell Recreation to discuss options, 833-5771 ext. 108.
Harpswell Youth League Softball is for children ages *6 - 12 (as of 12/31 of the previous year). *Six and Seven year olds that do not have any prior experience are strongly urged to participate in one year of t-ball prior to registering for a rookie team. This is not only for safety purposes, but also to make sure the participant has a basic softball foundation, rule comprehension and the motor skills necessary to play.
HYL is part of a larger League, Ararat Cal Ripken, that is comprised of Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Richmond and Topsham. Games are played with the towns listed plus Brunswick. Practices and home games are held at Trufant Summerton Athletic Field.
Teams are made in the following categories:
Rookie: Rookie teams are made up of 6, 7 and 8 year olds (and possibly 9 year olds that are first time players).
Minor: Minor teams are made up of mostly 9 and 10 year olds (*8 year olds that have above average skills may try out to be placed on a minor team. 11 year olds that are first time players will usually be placed here).
Major: Major teams are made up of mostly 11 and 12 year olds (10 year olds that have above average skills may tryout to be placed on a major team. 11 & 12 year olds that are first time players may be placed on a minor team).
*If your child is eight and you've registered for a Minor team; a skills assessment will be performed. If your child does not possess the skills for minor team placement, they will be placed on a Rookie team.
Registration is closed on the due date or when teams are full. Late registrations will only be accepted if there is space available.
- Bats for the 2018 season MUST be marked with the USA Baseball marking and have a max 2 5/8 barrel size (2 ¼ is what we’ve been using and that is still ok).
- NO BBCOR bats will be allowed - umpires will check bats prior to games.
- For more information about rules associated with this change see here: https://www.baberuthleague.org/bat-rules.aspx
- It is not necessary to purchase a bat for your child in this program. The recreation department provides bats for all teams for practice and game use. We have purchased new bats that meet the new requirements.
Volunteers - We Need You!
- The SUCCESS of our program depends on YOU, our volunteers. We count on YOU to help out, however it works best for you.
- Giving your time is really important, but if you can’t do that, then donations are welcome toward improving the field and upgrading our equipment.
- Please choose one or more choices from the following volunteer opportunities during registration.
- If you choose Coach or Ass’t. Coach, be sure to fill out an application if you’ve never coached for us before. Contact Gina Perow, Recreation Director, for the application. 833-5771 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We fully expect parents to help in the Concession Stand. Concession proceeds belong to the Booster Club to benefit the kids.
- Coaches can hold end-of-season celebrations with awards for the kids.
- Anything that benefits the kids is our priority! Help us keep the Concession Stand open for as many games as possible.
- Please choose the time that works best for you during registration
Additional Forms and Files: