This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Beginner: The students attending this session will learn the basics of sailing, both in the classroom and on the water. Topics covered will include sailing vocabulary, basic sail trim, points of sail, learning to sail away from a dock and returning, holding a steady course, coming about, falling off, heading up and jibing, and tying basic knots. An instructor is on board each Hunter or Rhodes19 sailboat to guide the students. As students gain confidence, Opti’s are introduced to prepare the student for advancement to the Intermediate afternoon class. Age range: 8-12. Maximum class size: 12.
Intermediate: The Intermediate session picks up where the Beginner session leaves off. The goals are to help student sailors achieve the level of skill and self-confidence necessary to sail independently. The emphasis is on safety by adapting the skills leaned in the Beginner class to the higher afternoon winds, and developing sailing judgment with a greater awareness of one’s surroundings while on the water. Opti’s and 420 sailboats are used. Markers will be set up to learn racing skills, but the emphasis will be a skill-based program. We feel this will prepare any student to enter a full-time racing program or be a part of our non-competitive team should they have the desire to do so. Maximum class size: 12
Racing: The racing program is designed for students who are ready to further develop their boat handling and tactical skills, such as roll tacking and spinnaker use, while fostering teamwork in an intimate setting. Two, 2-week sessions will be offered from July 8 - July 19 and July 22 - August 2, with classes taking place in the afternoon. Each session will be able to attend one local Wednesday MIRC (Maine Interclub Racing Circuit) race. This will be a chance for racers to sail outside of our sound, meet other racers, and have some fun with a competitive spirit!
Each session has a limit of six students in order to offer more one-on-one instruction.
- A full refund will be granted if request is made more than four (4) weeks prior to the program start date.
- A 50% refund will be granted if request is made less than four (4) weeks prior to the program start date but more than two (2) weeks before the program start date.
- A 25% refund will be granted if request is made less than two (2) weeks prior to the program start date but before the program start date.
- No refunds will be granted if the program has started already, unless the vacancy is able to be filled with another sailor. A pro-rated refund dependent on the number of days attended will be issued.
- In the case of significant extenuating circumstances (such as a documented medical condition), a pro-rated refund dependent on the number of days attended will be issued.